Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wine Wednesday Part: Cinq

            I wasn't going to do WW this week but randomly after spin class I thought, I can't waste this beautiful day studying, crush is in the air and it's time to taste.  The weather was absolutely perfect which is one of the many factors that make a day out wine tasting go smoothly.  Today I visited Hess Collection, a stone building offset in the hills off Redwood Road in Napa, nestled next to a monastery.  The environment on the hill is so much different than a winery off hwy 29.  Because the weather was warmer and it had rained the day before I could feel the swampy air driving through the hill with specs of humidity.  What I love about the Hess Collection is this winery has a full blown art gallery.  It's three floors, and at one point in time had Francis Bacon's work on display.  They also feature Franz Gertsch who's painting traditions stem from the "old masters".  When I first saw his work on the wall of the gallery I thought, "Why? What is it about this painting that is so special?".  The painting is completely done by hand, but yet looks just like a photograph.  No joke, I always recommend the Hess, and after being reminded of the beautiful art work I was blown away and will send a lot more people here.
      As I entered the tasting room I saw a friend who I hadn't seen in a long time, she is now a wine educator at the Hess, and I was fortunate enough to have my wine poured by her.  She is also really into wine, and only drinks wine when it comes to alcoholic beverages.  We both share that commonality.  Let me get to all of the great wines that I tried today, in total I sampled 7 different wines.



#1 Hess Small Block, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009
#2 Hess Small Block, Pinot Gris, 2010
#3 Hess Small Block, Albarnino, 2010 (sweeter)

Of the whites my favorite was #1, it was the most mild in flavor and crisp in temperature.

Onto the reds.  I am still on my "2007" theory, and so far it's sticking.

#4 Hess Collection, Mount Veder 19 Block, Cuvee, 2007
      -Delicious.  Very mild and easy to drink.  I would reccomend this wine to those who aren't typically red fans.

#5 Hess Collection, Mount Veder, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007
       -Very strong.

#6 Hess Allomi Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009
      -This wine was on the sweet side, I could taste clove, and afterward my mouth was dry.  The juice sucked the juice out of me.

#7 Hess Small Block Syrah, 2009
      -I'm glad I ended with this one, it had such a different flavor than any of the other wines, pretty unique and one of my reccomendations.

Cheese Weekly:  Melodie Goat Cheese (trader joes) same quiality and an affenois but 1/3 the price!!!!!!   Great with La Panzenella crackers.









      By the way, October and November are the best times to be in Napa.  I love seeing the vines change colors, and I love smelling crush in the air.  It's a smell you can't quite get anywhere else, it's an unforgettable scent.  Fortunately enough I live in Napa, and get to see the color change vines change colors yearly.  I couldn't imagine not living by vineyards, maybe that's why people always come back to Napa after the leave "for good".

Peace and Wine,

Running out of vintage, is like losing a good friend.

2 comments:

  1. Allie, you can only use instagram on iphones currently. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. Your smile of the week was my favorite. Mechanical pencil? That is so something that would make my week. And I LOVE wine! I'm so jealous you live in Napa. One of these days I am going to drive south a little and visit.

    ReplyDelete

Would you like to add your two cents?