Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday Mo Money Mo Problems

American's are insane. Why do we always want more? All I wanted to do was replace the camera that Brett threw away with a new Nikon L105 I couldn't miss not buying a camera that was only $99.99, because I am poor this was a good deal. We thought 'oh there won't be a line at Target’; we assumed that hungry gobbling consumers would go out of town to Best Buy, or the mall. HAHAH!!!! That was funny, the line for Target stretched almost one mile. They were letting thirty people in at the time, with a four second break in between each crowd of thirty. It was crazy, this was the first ever black Friday event that I have ever been a part of; we only waited a total of 15 minutes, which included finding the item, and purchasing it. So time wise everything was fine. What was pure insanity was the number of people wheeling out carts filled with TV's and other big ticket items. There was a child in front of me that kept jumping up and down, and hugging his mom. I thought to myself this kid's never loved his mom so much in his life, why? Because he was going to get an iPod touch...
In all, I think it’s utterly pathetic that most Americans revolve their lives around material items. Yes you might say well weren't you part of it? Yes I was, but my camera is my replacement camera, I need a camera to capture future moments of my baby once he or she is born. To justify my reasoning, here you go: I have family, and a lot of friends that are out of town and out of state, and would like to send photos once my baby is here. I have it for memories, not for the purpose of 'oh look what I have and you don't'. I am thankful that growing up I never had anything nice, so I never knew what it was like to have these types of items. I am even more thankful that I carry this value with me through life. I know, that I will try my hardest to instill in my child growing up that it's not important to have materialistic items like iphones, and 73' tv's, its just not necessary. One can have a few valuables that are appreciated, but once the mass comsumer kicks in, it's a material item. Remember the days when a tv was just a tv with out all of the bells and whistels? People may call me old school or just a plain whack job, but this is what I believe in. In the end, be thankful for what you have, and remember where you came from and why you are even here.

The Beatle's said it best:

"Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
"

The item bolded is on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you like to add your two cents?